May 19, 2020
- The virus that causes COVID-19 is spread mainly from person to person and there is not evidence that domestic animals play a role in spreading the virus as fomites. The CDC places this at a low risk.
- If a pet owner is ill with COVID-19 they should remain separate from their pet just as they are with humans in the household. If an ill owner must care for their pet, a face mask should be worn and hands should be washed before and after contact with the pet.
- Keep your pets from interacting with other people or animals outside of their household; when outside maintain a 6-foot distance between your pet and other people and animals.
- If a pet has been in contact with someone with COVID-19 and needs medical attention please call us to determine how to proceed with medical care.
- There has been widespread testing of pets for COVID-19 and there have been a handful of positive cases around the world of COVID-19 in dogs and cats. There is no evidence that dogs develop clinical signs and limited evidence of clinical signs developing in cats. While there is a test now available to test pets for COVID-19 it is not recommended by the USDA, CDC, or AVMA except in special scenarios due to minimal risk to our domestic animals.
March 23, 2020
To all our wonderful pet parents,
In this rapidly changing environment we are working to keep ourselves, our clients, and our patients safe and healthy. As an essential business under Governor Murphy’s orders, we remain steadfast in our mission to provide the best care for your pets. As a small business, we ask for your continued support as we navigate these trying times for our employees and families.
- We are committed to serving our patients and clients in this great community
- We are committed to our staff’s health and well being which will ensure our continued availability to you
- We are committed to doing our part to help flatten the curve and conserve medical supplies for human healthcare needs
In order to achieve these, we will be implementing telehealth consultations for our patients and extending our availability to you 8am-8pm 7 days a week via telehealth consultations. If the doctor deems that an office visit is needed through the telehealth consultation, there is no additional exam charge. All in hospital examinations and treatments will be done as drop off or curbside appointments and the technician will receive your pet at your car. We plan on keeping our office staffed for sick and urgent care patents Monday through Saturday. Medications prescribed will be available for curbside pickup same day for all patients seen for telemedicine consultations including Sundays.
We will continue to see sick and urgent care examinations, but these will all be performed as drop off or curbside appointments only. For all our in-hospital doctor appointments we will provide you with a link to watch a video and participate remotely in the examination if you wish. We will also be recording these examinations and email you a copy for your viewing. By recommendation from the New Jersey Veterinary Medical Assosciation we are halting all general wellness care excluding puppy or kitten vaccine series boosters and all rabies vaccines for adult pets. All elective surgeries will be postponed at this time to conserve medical supplies for human healthcare professionals.
We will continue to provide medications and food as curbside pickup or we can mail most medications to your door free of charge, please call to arrange this.
In order to help our small business support our staff and be available to you we are offering a Telehealth Membership plan. For a $200 membership fee you will have unlimited telehealth consultations, examinations, and medical progress exams for ALL the pets in your household 8am-8pm seven days a week from now until June 30th. We will be offering signups for this membership through April 1st and will be putting extended hours into place on March 30th. If you do not use our telehealth service or have your pet examined during your membership period, $100 will be placed as a credit on your account at the end of the membership period. Please call our office at 908-735-9998 to discuss and sign up today.
Please don’t hesitate to call us at any point with any questions or concerns. Stay healthy!
Elizabeth Pope & the entire staff at South Branch Veterinary Services